Friday, August 12, 2011

Style for Style: Red Lips

"Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick." ~Your favorite and mine, GP

"It's true, lip colors come and go, a bold red lip is forever." ~Refinery 29

This week's Style for Style post comes straight at you from my cherry red mouth: I HAVE FOUND THE PERFECT RED LIPSTICK!

I love makeup and remember my first "lesson" came during Catholic Schools week parent classes in 8th grade. One of the parents was an Amway representative and always taught the makeup class. However, you could only take the makeup class if you were in 8th grade. Imagine my excitement 8th grade year! The first thing the mom/teacher did was hold a magenta fabric and an orange fabric up to our skin to determine if we were "cool" or "warm" (Yes...this really did happen and I remember it like it was yesterday). When it came to me, I stumped her because I could go either way. I have had MANY makeovers in many department and makeup stores over the years and this is something that usually comes up. Makeup people usually go towards the "warm" side of things with me, which is not my cup of tea. However, I don't want to be too "cool" for school either.

Lipstick is my favorite makeup item to try and buy. I love the pretty tubes and I love how a different shade of lipstick can change the rest of your makeup. My quest for red lipstick started several years ago - I wanted RED lips. Not too "warm" and not too "cool" - RED. I started with a trip to Sephora. I was too chicken to go for the real thing and thus purchased Stila Lip Glaze in Cranberry. I "lost" this for a couple of months (only to find it in the pocket of a rarely used purse). It is ok. It is quite sticky, and often looks pink.

I dove into "real" red lipstick during my inaugural trip to NYC two years ago and a trip to Bloomingdales (which I blogged about here). The Estee Lauder guy recommended Pure Color Gloss Stick in Pomegranate Kiss (color no longer available). I rocked this for a while, although sometimes felt it was a bit too orange-red. The tube was/is beautiful, however.

Last year, I purchased Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick Berry Queen on impulse. I liked the purple tube. As the name might imply, this was a bit too berry/pink.

My next purchase was a bit softer - the Burts Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Red Dahlia. If you are nervous about red lips - this is a good introduction and feels great on your lips.

I was pretty comfortable switching between all of the above options, although I would admit that none of them were the PERFECT red.

Then my xoJane newsletter arrived in my email last week with a story about a Pin-Up Makeover. The makeup artist recommended Boots No.7 Lip color in Cherry - available at Target. This was a "true red" - not too orange and not too pink.

Could it be? I threw a tube in my cart the next time I was in Target.

AHHHHH!

She was right - it's the perfect "true" red and so far, I love it!

Anyone else have any red lipstick recommendations? More red recommendations, and tips for wearing red lipstick, can be found in the August issue of Matchbook Magazine page 40.

Next week's Style for Style: The perfect neutral lipstick

2 comments:

Maayan said...

no pic?!

Ali said...

Ha! That was totally my comment, too. I was waiting for pictures of each shade--at least the winner!