Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Style for Style: Animal print ballet flats

I love lists of wardrobe classics. You know, "staples" that every one should have in their closet. (One of my favorites starts on page 38 of Issue 2 of Matchbook Magazine.) Although I like the idea of having items forever, I can't say I subscribe to this approach at all times. Particularly when faced with an 80% off clearance rack...ANYWAYS...

One of my wardrobe staples is leopard/cheetah print ballet flats. (Animal print is #2 of Nina Garcia's Top 100 list, BTW.) You might be amazed at how versatile this shoe is. I originally bought my first pair at Target (on clearance) thinking they would be a fun shoe. Little did I know how often I could wear them! I burned through that Target pair and am now on my second pair, from Old Navy.

I was wearing them at my work conference in Iowa a few months back when our center director asked where I got them because his wife would love them. I responded that they were from Old Navy. We moved on.

Then yesterday, I was wearing the shoes again, and he again asked me where I got them because he had forgotten and I responded, "Old Navy...but if you are going to get these for {wife's name}, you should get higher quality ones. Coach used to have a cute pair." He asked if I could send him a link to them.

WELL....

I was then on the hunt for leopard/animal print ballet flats. I personally like the pony-hair (or faux pony-hair) types, rather than the shiny types. Here is what I came up with:

Stuart Weitzman $235


Elizabeth and James $147.50 (SALE)


Ivanka Trump $129.95


Halogen Ellis $99.95


Kelsi Dagger $71.20 (SALE)


Aldo $70


Anne Klein $59.01 (SALE)


Calvin Klein Jeans $59


BP $59


Unfortunately, I could not find a current pair (aka non-ebay) version from Target, Gap or Old Navy, although one of these three usually has an offering. After my Target pair bit the dust, I was on the hunt for months to find a replacement that actually fit (Does anyone else have a hard time with flats that fit? I often find that they are too wide for my foot), I found my current pair at Old Navy. You would think I would have bought two pairs, but I did not. Thankfully, I think I have a while before these go!

This was a fun post for me to put together so I might have more "Style for Style" posts in the future. Indulge me...

4 comments:

Maayan said...

good one. love the halogens.

Slunz said...

Just rocked my leopard print flats from Payless yesterday!

Emily said...

Of course I like the Stuart Weitzman ones best!! I have a cute patent leather pair from J. Crew on clearance. They are definitely very versatile. They look really good with jeans and a jewel tone tops.

Anonymous said...

jcrew has a super-cute pair as well.