Friday, August 19, 2011

Stolen Dinner: A Love Story

Stolen Dinner
Several of my family and friends own the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I would say if you are looking to buy a cookbook for someone, buy them this one - it is definitely a classic. It would make a great college/new home/wedding gift. Everything I have made out of this cookbook has been good, and often those of us with it will email back and forth - "We tried this and it was great". I received one of those emails this week from BLK, who recommended the Asian Marinade (page 418) on Chicken and the following simple sesame noodles. This looked like an easy dinner, so I quickly followed suit. She was right.

I marinated the chicken and skewered chunks with red pepper and pineapple for a kabob grillout! How very retro of us, I know. Mags was a big fan of the kabobs - even the red pepper!

Simple Sesame Noodles
Source: The Pioneer Woman
Noodles - I used thin spaghetti because that was what we had on hand.
1/4 cup soy sauce
3-4 cloves garlic
3 TB sugar
2 TB rice vinegar
2-3 TB sesame oil
4-5 TB canola oil
1/2 tsp asian hot chili oil (I omitted this because I didn't have it)
1-2 TB hot water

Mix all above. Chop up a green onion or two and throw it on top.

I made this with a (I'm Guessing) 23-lb baby on my hip in the Moby Wrap. For whatever reason, she wanted to be held - probably to be closer to the action. Thank goodness for that Moby wrap.

We gave Maggie a few of these noodles, expecting her to not like them - they were a little zippy with all of the garlic. She inadvertently sucked the first noodle up and decided she loved it. We spent the dinner laughing at her sucking up spaghetti noodles.

Dinner: A Love Story
If you are looking for a cooking blog to add to your Google Reader, I highly recommend Dinner: A Love Story. I get giddy when a new post pops up! I first heard about DALS from A Cup of Jo's My Balance Motherhood posts. Pop on over and give it a try!

1 comment:

Old MD Girl said...

Luca loves anything with pineapple. Thanks for the cookbook recommendation!