Monday, June 6, 2011

Saturday: Bringin' back High School

I had not one but two high school throwbacks on Saturday. First, it was Maggie's last swim class on Saturday morning and we were not going to have our usual teacher. The substitute was Courtney. Courtney looked so familar to me, and I think I must have looked familar to her because we caught each other looking at one another like, "Where do I know her from?" a couple of times. Finally while we were getting Maggie's completion certificate (!), I asked her, "Are you from {my hometown}?" After she said, "Yes", I asked if she went to my high school. "Yes, Are you {name of classmate of mine}?" I said, "No, I'm Amy" but at least we figured out the connection. She was a few years younger than me but definitely one of those small world moments since my hometown is an hour away.

A few hours later, a former cross country teammate of mine facebooked me to tell me that one of his track runners (he is now the coach of our old team) broke my school record in the 3200 m run. That had a nice thirteen year run, pardon the pun.

Both of these just made me feel old, which doesn't happen very often.

1 comment:

Old MD Girl said...

I had no idea you were a track star in your day!

Speedy.