Thursday, June 2, 2011

Maggie Had a Little Lamb

I was pleased to find the Summer issue of America's Test Kitchen 30 Minute Suppers at the grocery store a few weeks ago. I had planned on the Greek Burgers for last night's dinner.

I was also excited that Stauss Veal supplies the ground lamb at our grocery store. Why? Anthony Bourdain visited them on his trip to MKE.

I had planned on reserving some of the lamb for Maggie to try. Lamb was recommended in the Baby & Toddler Cookbook my BIL gave me for Christmas as a meat high in iron, B vitamins and zinc. Apparently the cookbook states that lamb is an ideal first meat as it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction than chicken or beef. This was not our first foray into meat, however. Maggie has tried turkey and chicken, with less than stellar results. I am now going to admit that I have given her jarred meat, sparingly. EW. I know. I gave her some of the Earth's Best Organic meat/veggie combos which made me feel slightly better but still. She loved the meat veggie jarred combos but when it came to "real" versions, results were mixed. For example, we brought home a rotisserie chicken once and she gobbled it up. A few weeks later, I poached her some chicken and she literally started crying screaming when I put it in her mouth.

So let's just say I wasn't expecting much from the lamb.

As usual, Maggie was my sous chef. While we were picking mint from our mint bush, she grabbed a leaf and started chewing on it...LOVED it. (This also is no surprise - while we were at Stein's Garden Center last weekend, we discovered her chewing on a couple of leaves that she must have yanked from the flowers while standing in the checkout line!)

We had everything ready to go so when Nate got home, he grilled the burgers for us and I poached some ground lamb for the Mags.

What do you know - she loved it! I guess she prefers expensive meats, "like her mother" according to Nate. I did not puree it - I just broke the lamb into bite sized pieces, let it cool down and let her feed it to herself.

The burgers were also stellar. Here's the recipe:

Greek Burgers
Source: America's Test Kitchen 30 Minute Suppers Summer 2011

1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1 1/2 pounds ground lamb (i didn't use this much because I only made 2 burgers, not 4)
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt & pepper
4 hamburger buns, halved
1 small tomato, cut into slices
1 small red onion, peeled and cut into 1/4 in rings

1. Mix yogurt, olives, 1 clove garlic, and 2 TB mint in small bowl and set aside. Break lamb into small pieces in medium bowl. Add cheese, remaining garlic, remaining mint, salt, and pepper. Using fork, toss until ingredients are evenly distributed. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions and lightly pack into 1 inch thick patties.

2. Grill patties until browned on both side and cooked to desired doneness, 4-6 minutes per side. Grill cut sides of buns until toasted, about 2 minutes.

3. Arrange burgers on top of buns. Top burgers with dollop of yogurt sauce, tomato and onion slices.

We had our burgers with corn on the cob and watermelon slices!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Looks like a good recipe. I always wanted to try making lamb, but I never think to look for it at the market.

I hear ya on the pureed meats. They sound so gross, but I know a lot of people who have used them.