Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The definition of "MOM"

I woke up this morning and thought "TODAY IS A WORK DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ok, 9.9 times out of 10 I would rather be at home with Mags than at work. I look forward to my weekday off while slogging through the four ten hour days that I do work.

Typically my day off is Wednesday which is lovely. Previously, I would have thought that having a Monday or a Friday off would be great (3-day weekend!) but after some experimentation with my schedule, Wednesday turned out to be THE day. Why? It breaks up the work week. Four 10-hour days in a row gets LONG. By the fourth day I was feeling so frazzled. Wednesday lets me re-group and keep up with stuff on the homefront.

HOWEVER, there is at least one week a month where I cannot take Wednesday off due to scheduled meetings. This week is one of those weeks so yesterday I was home.

By about 8:30 AM I wanted to be at work. Mags was driving me CA-RAY-ZEEEEEEE.

I have no idea what her deal was. I thought maybe she was sick of being in the house so we went outside. No improvement. Then we went to Target. Holy breakdown - I only got halfway through the shopping. This was capped off by an all-out SCREAMFEST lasting from 4:00 - 4:40 PM.

After she was in bed for the night, I grabbed the keys and headed back to Target to finish the shopping.

LUXURIOUS! I wandered the clearance aisles. I was not wrestling with a nosy 9 month old who wanted to be in the cart, then held, then in the cart. I TRIED CLOTHES ON. I got a new bikini for $3.96 (thanks to a $5 online Target coupon), a three-pack of Magnum ice cream bars and a People magazine.

And then at 5 AM this morning, I got up to go to work.

By 7:30 AM, I was wishing I was back home.

Sigh. Those must have been some powerful ice cream bars.

1 comment:

Silky Jess said...

I totally get it. Sometimes, paid work is just the break you need from the never ending, unpredictable baby world! It gives you space to miss and appreciate the little ones.