Tuesday, May 3, 2011

In celebration of the Royal Wedding


This is a picture of Maggie and I when she was only a few hours old. I'd like to call your attention to the ring on my right hand. This was a gift from Nate in the delivery room - it's her birthstone. I wear this ring almost every day - I LOVE IT.

Lately, I have been getting asked (several times by different people) if I bought the ring in celebration of the Royal Wedding since it resembles (very faintly) Diana's Engagement Ring.

I am mortified by this and always quickly explain that the ring was given to me by my husband for the birth of our daughter. My friend (and fellow Royal Wedding obsessee) AH laughed when I told her ABOUT this and said I should write this in Maggie's baby book. Thus, why I posted it, as I often do, so I can remember to write it in her actual baby book someday if when I get around to doing it.

For those of you interested, here is the full story of my ring:
Last summer, I waddled my pregnant self into my FIL's jewelry store and started trying on various rings, including engagement rings, as I usually do. (It's FUN!) The ring above was actually an engagement ring but my BIL, who works at the store, said that someone just had it set with their August birthstone and it looked really pretty. (You may recall that I was due in August.) Fun! Little did I know my sneaky husband was paying attention. He ordered the ring with an August birthstone. The end of August (not-so) quickly approached and I was still preggers. On the last day of the month, it looked like Maggie was going to be a September baby. Nate had the stone switched and overnighted back to him. He HID IT IN MY HOSPITAL BAG!

At some point - maybe when I was screaming in agony and not watching him, he put the ring in his pocket during labor. When I was holding Maggie for the very first time, the nurse was putting her hospital bracelets on and exclaimed, "Oh her very first jewelry". AS IF ON CUE Nate said, "Speaking of jewelry..." and slipped the ring on my finger! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! To this day, I don't know if he set this all up with the nurse or not. And that is the story of how I got my "Royal Wedding" ring.

2 comments:

Emily said...

That story is so sweet!! 1 - that he did it, 2 - that he switched the stone when he realized you would be Sept, and 3 - how he surprised you wth it. Love it all!

I wish my FIL had a jewelry store.

Madeleine's birthstone is Citrine, but I plan on buying her a sapphire piece at some point. Her eyes are so deep blue that the first thing I said when I saw them is that they looked like sapphires. I thought they would lighten up as she got older, but they are still that beautiful deep blue!

Too funny with the whole Royal Wedding engagement ring. Come on, just admit you wish you were Kate Middleton.

Old MD Girl said...

Your husband is AMAZING.