This month's craft was part of a craft exchange I did with my friend AH. It all started when AH hosted a giveaway on her blog. She was giving away one of these fabric wreaths she makes. I did not win the giveaway...so I had to think of another way to get a wreath. Voila - Craft Exchange!
AH made me a wreath and I made her two pillows for her bedroom, at her request. I sent a list of potential pillow tutorials I had starred in my Google Reader and she picked the chevron ones.
WOOHOO I thought. In my mind, she had picked the easiest tutorial. Bonus points because I already had the exact fabric (different color) used in the tutorial in my stash!
All I would have to do is cut strips on the bias from my striped fabric and sew them together, thereby making a pillow case.
In theory, this is what you do.
However, let me just advise that one should not take up cutting the strips if you are tired. For whatever reason, I could not wrap my mind around cutting this horizontal fabric along the bias. The tutorial has very clear instructions, with pictures, yet I felt a strong case of vertigo coming on whenever I went to cut. And a second piece of advice, mixing a vodka tonic does NOT help matters.
Once I made my way through the cutting, I attempted sewing a few strips together. My head was still spinning and I thought, "There is no way I am going to be able to finish these." I started shopping for chevron material online. I asked my sister what she thought - she thought the progress looked good. I was encouraged to go on.
I returned to the project Friday night after a full day of work and for some reason, I could see clearer. I finished a pillow in no time. It turned out I really liked these pillows!
I finished pillow number two Saturday night.
Full tutorial here. It's such a shame that these pillows go so well in my own bedroom :) Don't worry, AH, I will still send them to you!