Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bonus Craft of the Month: Flirty Skirt

Recently I brought out all of my spring/summer clothes. I thought I would be more excited about them since I did not get to wear any of them last year due to being large and in charge. Instead, my reaction was, "Eh".

We were blessed with a rare thing: a completely unscheduled weekend. Besides Maggie's swim lesson, we had nothing to do. Unfortunately it rained all day yesterday, so we took Maggie to the mall. I was looking for skirts. I found some but mostly I was thinking, "I could make these!".

So, this afternoon, I headed to Jo-Ann Fabrics. As usual, I was not pleased with the selection, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money if I wasn't going to like the finished product. I made Anna Maria Horner's Flirting the Issue skirt. This was super easy. I am likely going to make one or two more (and maybe some baby-sized ones too!). From start to finish (with some baby-interruptions) it took me two hours.

I think the pattern is well done. The only thing I would say is that you do not need nearly as much fabric as it recommends. I used about 3/4 yard (45" wide material) of each my skirt fabric and the lining fabric.

Voila:


Maggie wanted in on the action:


I am very pleased with this skirt. It is really comfy as well thanks to the elastic waistband. I think it might need to be a bit shorter but I am done for now.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Very cute! I really like the band... I might have to try this one.

Maayan said...

Ooh! I can see shortening it, but also could see leaving this length... it looks great with your sleek-tucked tank and wedges.