Monday, April 4, 2011

Road Trip!



We are giving Maggie an early start to learning the art of the road trip this week as we head to Iowa City, IA for 3 days and 3 nights!

Our destination was picked for us as I have a conference to attend for work. Rather than pumping and saving milk for that time (and I'll be honest - I'm not ready to leave Mags for that long!), we decided to make it a family trip. It is actually quicker and easier for us to drive there versus flying so road trip it is.

The trip is about 4 hours one way. Much of the time will be eaten up by the conference for me, but Nate and Mags will be explorers during the day and I might sneak out a few times to join them.

If anyone has been to Iowa City and has some recommendations for things to do, places to visit, restaurants to eat at, please leave a comment!

Image Source: Veer via Design Sponge who has a post on road trip playlists today!

2 comments:

Tara said...

I lived in Iowa City for 5 years during my undergrad years... off the top of my head...

Given your penchance for reading you might like a visit to Prairie Lights Books. Definitely go to the Java House (a huge favorite!).

The pedmall is of course a draw- there are cute shops and if it is nice out there will be tables set up for dining alfresco. The Old Capital is a great spot to walk and sit on a blanket (maybe while enjoying ice cream from Whiteys)...

Kind of random but the New Pioneer Coop is a neat place.

If it is nice out definitely do a walk along the river- there is a nice sidewalk on both sides with bridges to cross. The west side is pretty.

You will come across lots of cute places for dining just by walking around.

Tara said...

I think that all of my recs where for things in the 'downtown' area near the campus... if you are staying in Coralville there is inexpensive parking all over so not a problem to get around.