Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Incredible, Edible EGG!


I just received a call from Nate - we have now have a fresh egg hookup!!

I don't know if I have blogged about this before, but I LOVE eggs. My friend BCK once told me that if a recipe has an egg on it, I will love it no matter what. If we go out for dinner and one of the entrees has an egg on it, Nate knows that that is what I am going to order. No question. I love them over easy, poached, scambled, hard boiled. I haven't had a soft boiled egg but after watching Ralph Fiennes character prepare one for his mistress in The Reader (complete with egg cup), I have been itching to try them.

Thus, I have been wanting to get fresh eggs for a while. Enter G, who works with Nate. G is our age and has two young children. For one reason or another, the kids got chicks, that grew into chickens that each lay one egg a day. She was telling Nate about this and her overabundance of eggs. Nate then told me about it and I was practically hyperventilating: "DOES SHE WANT TO SELL THEM TO US?!"

Answer: Yes.

So now we get our eggs and each of G's kiddos get $1. Nate's office now supplies us with both eggs and various produce (there is another woman that grows various kinds of produce and sells it. Her spring mix is amazing). Love it!


This whole story reminds me of growing up when my sister had chickens. I believe my uncle bought her the chicks and then my dad built her a coop and they lived on my grandparents farm, 2.5 miles away from our house. I think my nana got stuck with most of the work and they sold the eggs. Believe me when I tell you there is nothing like a farm fresh egg!

Photo Sources: 1) Style Cookie; 2) Chicken and Egg Cookbook via Anthropologie

No comments: