Saturday, March 26, 2011

Are you a boy or a girl?

Today was a day to get stuff done, as most Saturdays are. We had to go to Lowe's to get paint, Macy's to get a CO2 refill for our Soda Stream and grocery shopping.

When I was pregnant, some people commented that how were we going to buy our baby clothes if we didn't know what we were having (boy or girl)? I used to get annoyed by these comments thinking that boys can wear colors other than baby blue and girls can wear colors other than pink.

However, now that we have our baby girl, I can tell you that it doesn't really matter WHAT color you dress your baby in, people will always ask you what the gender is. Or if they don't they will always guess the wrong gender.

One day, early on, Maggie was dressed in head to toe pink. A woman asked Nate if she was a boy or a girl. He responded, "Girl". She responded, "Good because if it was a boy, he'd look like a sissy."

Yes. This really happened.

Today Maggie was in a bright pink long sleeve shirt, a bright pink puffy vest and brown pants with pink and purple hearts on them. At Macy's the salesperson said, "What a cute little guy you've got there." I didn't really pick up on the fact that guy = male but then the salesperson said, "Oh. It's a girl. I just saw the heart pants."

Really? The pink vest and shirt didn't give it away? Hmmm. Not that boys can't wear pink, I guess I just don't see too many of them.

So when we got home, I stuck a bow in Maggie's hair...er, head. She hated it, although she did let me snap a few pics. Nate saw me and said, "What are you feeling bad that she got called a boy?"

Maybe I was. After all, I DO know how it feels when people don't know if you are a boy or a girl. I went through about 3 years of that in middle school. As I was just telling my aunt J, I distinctly remember when I was 12 years old, I had my light blue softball t-shirt and jean shorts on. I was tall, really skinny and had extremely short hair. I was making a phone call on a pay phone when a truck drove by and a kid screamed out the window, "ARE YOU A BOY OR A GIRL?"

True Story.

So yes. I may have had some recollections of those days when I came home and stuck a purple bow to my daughter's head.



3 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

It'll get better soon, once she grows hair. How'd you get the bow to stay on? Glue?

;-)

Nemmie said...

My son gets called a girl all the time, I think it's the blonde curls. Yesterday we had him in a rockabilly shirt, brown Oxfords, and a fedora. First lady we say was all "what a beautiful lady you are!". ::Face palm::

She'll grow more hair and it will get better :)

BCK said...

awwww. i'm feeling bad for your 12 year old self.