Monday, February 21, 2011

1981!

One of my favorite birthday presents so far was a time capsule back to 1981 from CD.
She sent a CD "Billboard Top Hits of 1981", a book from the NY Times bestseller list circa 1981 (Noble House by James Clavell), the best picture of 1981 on DVD (Chariots of Fire) and the issue of Rolling Stone from the week of my birthday in 1981. The Police are on the cover. Oh Sting...

Oh Rolling Stone. I'm not sure she even knew about the love affair I had with that magazine growing up. I subscribed to it faithfully for my high school, college and graduate school career. Read it cover to cover and then digested it with my BF, CP. I saved BOXES of old issues - "My kids will totally love me for this someday". I cut up issues and taped them all over my bedroom closet doors. I would go so far as to say I followed the music recommendations and politics in there blindly. Some people have the Bible, I had Rolling Stone magazine, ha ha ha.

I no longer subscribe to the magazine. Too many unread issues and years later, I stopped renewing my subscription. When I had to clean out my stuff from the home I had growing up, the boxes of old issues got recycled so that I didn't have to move them from place to place. So, when I opened the time capsule, it was fun to see the issue there.

So thanks CD for the great trip down memory lane. Now if I could only get "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton John out of my head...

No comments: