Friday, January 28, 2011

Fried Egg and Lentil Salad

My boss, she who has 2 kids and one to be delivered via c-section in less than a week, turned me onto the magazine 30 Minute Suppers done by America's Test Kitchen. I don't think you can subscribe to this. I found it at our local grocery store and have been enjoying it. They have an issue that corresponds to each season, which involves seasonal food but not in a overly complicated way. I have been trying the recipes out and making notes. Some of them have been good, some not so good. This past week, I made the following salad and it was my favorite thing I have made out of there so far.

Please note that I am typing this from memory and that this is a modification from the original recipe.
Frisse and Fried Egg Salad with Lentils
1/2 cup du Puy lentils (i could not find these so i just used regular green lentils)
1 1/2 cups water
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
2 carrots, peeled and chopped thin crosswise
2 shallots, minced
additional olive oil for pan
2 heads frisse* (i used spring mix b/c that was what we had in the fridge)

put lentils water and baking soda in microwave safe bowl and cover. heat for 20 minutes. (There was an explanation as to what the baking soda does in the magazine...basically it is suppossed to trick the eater into thinking you slaved away all day and slow-cooked your lentils).

Meanwhile, put some oil in a pan on your stove and cook shallots and carrots in it until tender - about 4 minutes. Empty this into a bowl. Wipe out saucepan and make a fried egg for every serving. (Me, I like fried eggs so I made two for my salad).

When lentils are done, drain them and rinse them in cold water and put them in same bowl with carrot and shallot. Whisk vinegar and oil together and then pour some in lentil carrot mixture.

Build your salad - greens, topped with lentil/carrot mixture, topped with fried egg. The yolk from the egg will mix with the dressing and balance it out. Add more of the dressing to your desired dressing level.

I had a bunch of the lentil/carrot mixture left over so I stored that in the fridge and used it to replicate the salad, sans egg, the next day for lunch and it was yummy even without the egg. (Although if you are home, go for the egg or two. DELISH.)

We served this along with tilapia filets that I sprinkled some italian herb seasoning on before cooking them in olive oil.

1 comment:

BCK said...

i'm not surprised you loved this recipe since it has a fried egg!