Sunday, January 23, 2011

CHEESECAKE!!!!!!!!

Today we had a baby shower for my BF, JN. For dessert, I made chocolate chip bars and cheesecake. I was a little nervous about the cheesecake since I used a new recipe. I know, I know - You're never supposed to use a new recipe for an event but oh well.

Turns out this cheesecake rocks! I did not have a piece at the shower but had one when I got home. YUM! I served it with my FIL's peanut butter sauce. I don't know if I'm at liberty to share the sauce recipe but here is the cheesecake one:

New York Cheesecake
Source: America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

Crust
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (If you make your own crumbs in the food processor, this ends up being one package of graham crackers)
5 TB unsalted butter, melted
1 TB sugar

Filling
2 1/2 pounds cream cheese (5 bricks), softened and cut into rough 1 in-chunks (I let it sit on the counter all day - the recipe recommended doing this vs using heat as using heat can bring on a grainy texture in the cake)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
6 large eggs, at room temperature
1 TB unsalted butter, melted

1. For the crust: adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. mix the graham crumbs, melted butter and sugar together and pour into 9-inch springform pan. Press crumbs firmly into an even layer using the bottom of a measuring cup. Bake crust until fragrant and beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.

2. For the filling: Increase oven temp to 500 degrees. Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium low speed until softened, 1-3 minutes. scrape down bowl and beaters thoroughly.

3. Beat in half the sugar and the salt until incorporated, 1-3 minutes. Beat in remaining sugar, 1-3 minutes. Beat in sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla until incorporated 1-3 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks until incorporated, 1-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, two at a time, until incorporated, 1-3 minutes.

4. Being careful not to disturb the baked crust, brush the sides of the springform pan with the melted butter. Set the pan on a rimmed baking sheet. Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 10 minutes.

5. Without opening the oven door, reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees and continue to bake until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the cheesecake reads 150 degrees, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Rotate pan after 45 minutes.

6. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and run a paring knife around the edge of the cake. Let cool until barely warm, 2 1/2 - 3hours. Running a paring knife around the edge of a cake every hour or so. Wrap the pan tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours.

7. The recipe recommends using a wet hot kitchen towel around the springform pan to unmold the cheesecake. I did not have to do this - the paring knife trick was enough to unmold it in my case.

I'm so happy there were four extra pieces! :)

No comments: