Sunday, October 31, 2010

Tricks & Treats

Since becoming a mother, I have added a few naughty words to my vocabulary. Words or phrases such as "schedule" and "growth spurt". My least favorite question is, "Do you have her on a schedule yet?" No. She eat when she is hungry and sleeps when she is tired. That's our "schedule".

As for "growth spurt"...I don't know if this is true of all babies, but our baby turns into the spawn of Satan during a growth spurt period. If her doctor hadn't given me some heads up as to the "normal" (another naughty word) time periods for baby growth spurts, I would have been super freaked out this past week. One of the growth spurt periods is around 6 weeks which peaked at our house on Monday and Tuesday of this past week. CRYING and CRYING and CRYING. EATING and EATING and EATING. No sleeping (during the day). At one point, I put her in her crib (while she was screaming) and just went downstairs to have five minutes.

Then I felt guilty.

Thankfully on Wednesday night, I had book club. Several of the women in this book club (which I just started going to a week before my due date) are new mothers or have children aged 2 years and under. As my Nana and I were discussing, groups of women can either be a wonderful support system or catty b**ches. This is true whether or not you are a mother. However, as I have already found out, motherhood brings on a whole new level of judgement to this dynamic. So it is always with some trepidation that I enter into discussions about kiddos with other mothers that are not my friends or who I don't know very well.

However, the women of my book club were awesome. It felt great to share new mother troubles with some other new moms. As one woman said, "I'm convinced that the mothers who say they have it all figured out are either lying or delusional". LOVE IT! A glass of red wine didn't hurt either. I came back home feeling renewed - Bring on Wednesday.

Wednesday morning, our little pumpkin was back to her old self. Phew!
Photographic evidence of growth - Maggie 1 week


Maggie 6 1/2 weeks:




So what is Maggie for Halloween? A freak of nature. Allow me to explain. Mothers of the world please don't hate me.

Last night, we put her to bed at 8:30ish. I went to bed around 11:30 cursing myself for staying up so late.

I woke up at 3:30 AM, which is about the usual time Maggie wakes up to eat. I didn't hear anything from her so I fell back asleep. At 5:00 AM, I woke up again and my breasts were throbbing. Holy engorgement. They hurt so bad, I couldn't fall back asleep so I got up to pump a little to relieve the pressure. I went back to bed and had this horrible dream that we put her to sleep in the bathtub and she wiggled her way down into the drain and that is why we couldn't hear her cry. I woke up again at 7:45 (her usual wake up time) and could hear her cooing her in crib. Nate went to get her and she was wide awake ready to start the day. She went almost 12 hours!! Clearly some sort of Halloween spirit invaded her room last night and made our baby some sort of freak of nature.

Stay tuned for a Halloween outfit parade post coming later today!

4 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

Apparently all of that howling wore her out!

Ali said...

So glad you got out to book club!! And I think we have all put our babies in a safe place during a crying spell to just take a little 5 minute time out. Always necessary.

She certainly went through a growth spurt (and has already pulled better nights than both my sons EVER have! Go MAGGIE!!!)

Tara said...

Amy, your posts are cracking me up! And Maggie is just such a cutie.

What perfect timing to find a good group for a book club. And perfect timing for a meeting during a growth spurt :D

caroldes7 said...

first - schedule.. huh??? she is still brand new! don't get it. but- wo hoo maggie for the great sleep stretch!!!!! keep em coming!