Tuesday, August 31, 2010

HeLa

This morning, I finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Great book. It would be a really good book club book and would promote a lot of discussion. Being nonfiction, it is in a category that I don't usually read from, but it was written more like a novel, I thought. I was embarrassed that I have never heard of the story before or the HeLa cell line. It is a pretty incredible story.

While reading my UW Alumni magazine last night, I noticed that this book has been selected for the 2nd annual Go Big Read event at Madison. COOL! Last year's Go Big Read book was In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. The idea behind Go Big Read is to "to engage students, faculty, staff and the entire community in a vibrant, academically driven experience". I love the idea of this and wish they would have had this when I was in school there. If you are a first year student, you get the book for free!

As part of the event, the author is coming to speak on October 25. I might try to go. Here in MKE, the author is coming to the Boswell Book Company tomorrow night (9/1) at 7 PM. I won't be able to make it - If I'm not having a baby, I'll be celebrating Nate's grandmother's 85th birthday!

1 comment:

Old MD Girl said...

They mentioned this book in the ethics class I took this past spring. I've heard great things about it. Glad to see you liked it as well!