Thursday, July 8, 2010

The next Cake Boss?

This month, I have traded prenatal yoga class in for cake decorating classes on Wednesday nights. I have always wanted to take a cake decorating class and when my friend Holly sent an email that Michael's was offering them 50% off, we jumped at the chance. The class is the Wilton Cake Decorating Basics.

The class is way more intense than I thought it would be. For some reason I didn't think I would have to bake for it. I know that sounds so dumb...I'm not sure where I thought the cakes that we would be decorating would be coming from!

Our first class was last night and we started with cookies. We were suppossed to bring 6 sugar cookies to decorate. I felt like a bit of a lame-o because I didn't even bake my cookies - I bought at dozen at Pick N Save for $3! I felt better when I saw others in the class did the same thing.

Last night's lesson included tips on baking a cake, icing a cake, making different consistencies of icing, and making stars. It actually was really great - I learned a lot of stuff that even if I don't end up being an ace of cakes, my cakes will probably turn out nicer. We had to practice on a practice board with the star tip. I had a whole practice board done when I realized I was doing it with my left hand (I am right handed). Maybe I'll turn out to be an ambidexterous cake decorator?!

Next week we have to bake and ice a cake to bring to class where we will be doing gel transfers. I think I might go ballsy and attempt a double layer filled cake (what we learned last night). Then again, I might be tempted to buy one at Pick N Save again, ha ha ha.

No comments: