Saturday, June 19, 2010

"Let's Go to the Movies, Annie, Wait and See"


We finally saw Iron Man 2 tonight. The geek in me loves superhero movies - I loved the first Iron Man, although I think I will always be partial to Batman as my favorite. We both thought it was a fun movie and having Robert Downey, Jr for some eye candy certainly doesn't hurt, in my opinion! (Don't give me that look - the guys have Gwynnie and Scarlett Johansen to oogle).

The movie broke me out of my rut of depressing films. I watched The Lovely Bones, Revolutionary Road and Rachel Getting Married all in the past week (hello - I don't sleep - I have to have SOMETHING to fill the hours between 3 and 6 AM!). I wouldn't put any of them in the "fun movie" category!

My thoughts -

The Lovely Bones - eh. I remember thinking the book was good when I read it during grad school. The translation to movie was better than I was expecting, but I wasn't amazed. That and I thought I was going to have nightmares about my daughter getting savagely murdered by a creepy neighbor. (I didn't give anything away - you find this out right away in the movie).

Revolutionary Road - one of my friends told me this might not be the best movie to watch while being pregnant. However, I read the book last year so I was prepared. I really liked this book, even though it was depressing. I liked the movie as well, but I felt that I was watching people act the whole time, rather than believing that they had become the characters.

Rachel Getting Married - I was curious to see Anne Hathaway play a "bad" girl. Thought she did a good job and thought the movie was entertaining. Lots of family drama in this movie. And again, made me think, "what if one of my kids would turn out to be a druggie and unintentionally kill one of my other kids"?

Yeah, so you can see why Iron Man broke the mold :)

The title of this post comes from one of my absolute favorite movies, Annie. I swear I watched this everyday for multiple summers, paying $1 to rent it from the Merri-Lore. While going through my sheet music a few years ago, I found looseleaf pages of handwritten song lyrics from all the annie songs - I distinctly remember watching the movie and writing down the words to the songs as I watched.

5 comments:

chacha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BrookeK said...

oh Annie! my favorite also! I have videos of me singing..."tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow!"

Old MD Girl said...

AH also plays a bad girl in Havoc, just not as well as in Rackel Getting Married. I liked RGM. My interpretation was slightly different than your's: that her family was utterly screwed up and treated her like shit (she was the scapegoat for all of their problems, the "bad girl" to her sister's perfection), and contributed to/caused her pathology. I think it's interesting that your interpretation was so different.

Old MD Girl said...

Oh also, if you haven't seen "Doubt" you really should. It's another one where different people walk away with different interpretations. I'd be curious to hear what you thought of that one too.

Silky Jess said...

I had to laugh that each of the movies had you thinking about your own kids getting screwed up--you are ready to be a mom. I bawled at Knocked Up when I was pregnant the first time--not because of the scary giving birth part but because of the father (Paul Rudd) who is so unsatisfied with family life. Jason laughed at me, but I really thought he was going to want to leave me after we had kids! I hope you can find some more fun, light movies to keep you entertained.