Wednesday, May 26, 2010

DIY Travel Neck Wallet

My sister left this morning for a 3.5 week stint in Peru. I suggested she take summer classes and the girl finds a 6 credit class that takes her to Peru. SMART GIRL. Anyways, the leader of the trip recommended they all get those touristy travel wallet things for around their necks. She asked me to make her one since she wasn't crazy about the blah-ness of the ones available online. Of course I accepted this challenge.

It was a challenge because it required me to make something without instructions. Oh believe me, I scoured the internet, my Google Reader and a bunch of craft blogs to find some sort of tutorial but came up empty handed. So I improvised.

And you know what, it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself.

I don't have a picture of it. I gave it to her Monday night and forgot to take a picture so if she sends me one, i'll post it. I based it off the Rick Steves wallet:


I made it out of this material that she picked out from my stash:


I repurposed a neck cord from an old conference name badge that had a self adjuster thing on it so two zippers were all I needed to buy. I'm working on developing a tutorial for it in case you want to make your own.

No comments: