Tuesday, April 13, 2010

20 Week Update - Curtains and Paint - Dunzo

Today marks 20 weeks. I am pumped. This was one of the milestones I have been looking forward to for a while now - halfway through pregnancy. So far my pregnancy has been pretty drama free. I have had low to normal blood pressure, no UTIs or anything sketch, and every test/screen they have done has come back normal. My remaining "symptoms" are insomnia (every night - I'm up at least from 3-5. call me - we can chat!), and pizza face. Thus I have a love/hate relationship with pregnancy hormones...mostly favoring the hate. I started to feel the baby move during the 16th week which was a high point thus far. Nate (or even I) can't feel movement from the outside yet. We have our 20 week ultrasound on Thursday which I am also looking forward to. I'm halfway in maternity clothes world and halfway out. My dress pants were the first thing to go and my last pair of jeans could be buttoned during week 17. I hate the belly band for extended periods of time so I although I have one, i don't really use it much. These days, I wear a lot of dresses and skirts. I'm still running, which I am proud of as I wasn't sure how long I would be running for. I plan to keep it up until I get too uncomfortable. I run about 3-4 days per week. I cannot run 2 days in a row. Literally I get 2 blocks and have to walk on the 2nd day so it's every other day. I run for 30-35 minutes at a time. I stopped calculating my pace a long time ago so I really have no idea what it is. I do know that my husband could probably beat me in a 5k now. I also do the Shiva Rae Prenatal Yoga Video. It is very helpful for stretching out my back, which bothers me sometimes.

So that's 20 weeks of pregnancy in a paragraph!

My first DIY Baby Schlotty project is curtains. We painted the room at 14 weeks. Yeah, that's early. We were excited. You will be able to see the blue/grey color of the paint in the pics below. Let's back up though to what the paint in this room was originally - sort of a glaring aqua:

We painted it a more toned down blue and the room served as our guest room:


When deciding what color to go with, we wanted to have a pale color to take advantage of all the light this room gets and also be neutral. The grey-blue won out. In the pictures I think it looks more blue than grey but the paint really changes with the light, which I like. The color and paint we used was the Olympic Low VOC in April Sky. Nate did a fabulous job painting.

My first project was to make curtains. We already had nice curtain rods up (see above picture) but the curtains did not go well with the new paint color. We needed something bold. I found Amy Butler's August Fields in Tangerine on Clearance at Fabric.com! I liked it, Nate liked it so we ordered it. The grey/blue in the middle of the flower things is a great match to the paint color.

The fabric came to $13.62!!! Craziness. I love getting a deal! The quality of this fabric, which is the home decor weight, is phenomenal. I would definitely recommend it - very easy to cut and sew!

I had the idea to basically copy the curtain done at Young House Love - that is to use curtain rings. 4 packs of curtain rings ran us about $20 at Lowe's.

These curtains were really easy - basically cut two panels per window, hem all four sides, clip the rings on and hang. Young House Love features a no-sew tutorial, but I personally think it is easier to sew rather than to use stitch witchery.

So voila - the curtains and some glimpse of the paint:



We really like the combo and think it will work equally well for a boy or girl. Check that off the (long) list for $33.62!

4 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

I really like the orange curtains with the blue walls. They look fantastic. You are making me want to buy a sewing machine...

caroldes7 said...

YAY for 20 weeks! What a milestone. And I LOVE the curtains, colors, everything!!! Really all is coming together fabulously. So jealous of the deal on the fabric, too. Maybe I would have actually made curtains if I had such a find. That'll be my excuse anyway!

chacha said...

Cute! I love Amy Butler fabric and orange is such a happy color.

Pizza face? Hehe, well, I have it without being pregnant so maybe that means when I do decide to have a little one I'll have clear skin for 9 months! (or it could be twice as bad... trying no tot think of that)

BrookeK said...

love it! so cute!