Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Unaccustomed Earth



I just finished this collection of short stories at 4:30 this morning. This book recently was recommended to me by a colleague and I also purchased it for a friend, who introduced to me to the author back in our grad school days. It is a beautiful book and I was literally sobbing when I was finishing it. Now this could be because a)i'm preggers or b)i'm a walking tired zombie but either way, I like to think that the stories are that good. My favorite (and the sob-inducing one) was the last triology about Hema and Kaushik.

I don't often read short stories because I like getting involved and lost in the characters of a long novel. However, I was able to get immersed in each character of these stories. Lately, it has been nice to pick up a book, read a story and be done with it. I'm actually a little sad that this book is over. If you have any short story recommendations, pass them on!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

My favorite collection of short stories is Graham Greene's 21 Stories. It's probably a bit of a departure from your usual reads, but I have read them over and over again. I find something new to love every time. I also love Roald Dahl's short stories. He's known for his children's books, but he first wrote adult fiction (some even were published in Playboy!). I promise it's (mostly) not smut, though.