Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Re-learning the Art of Embroidery

I am now in trimester 2 of pregnancy and thankfully all of the nausea, bad tastes, and just generally feeling queasy have passed. My lingering symptom is insomnia, and I could either see an improvement in this during trimester 2 or it will be with me for the rest of the journey. Nate & I have come to the realization that one positive outcome of this is that at least when the baby comes, it might not be such a huge transition for me to be up all night with him/her.

I have spent a lot of time whining about insomnia, mostly not on this blog, thank your lucky stars. However, this week, I have taken a new approach - I am embracing it. The night before last I used my 3-5 AM window to do some grading. Then last night, I started work on a project for a certain 1 year old's upcoming birthday and re-learned some embroidery. Did you all have the embroidery unit in grade school art class? We certainly did and I loved it. We got a burlap square, piles of yarn and had to use 4 stitches for our masterpiece. I'm sure my mom saved those somewhere.

Fast forward 20 years and I only vaguely remembered some of the stitches. Thank goodness for the Internet. My love for the Internet grows and develops in new ways everyday. The Purl Bee by Purl Soho has some fantastic embroidery tutorials for some simple stitches should you find yourself embarking on a project that requires some minimal embroidery. I will reveal my project soon enough.



The Purl Bee is also useful for other types of tutorials - knitting, crocheting, sewing, along with project ideas and patterns. Craftsters - bookmark it!

1 comment:

heather said...

you are absolutely right on the sleep thing...i think lack of sleep during pregnancy really helps with adjusting! you're smart to put the time to good use...I tended to watch infomercials! :-)

and i love the Purl Bee! great info!! i'm actually making their large granny square blanket right now!