Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Black Apple Dolls

Martha Stewart featured instructions from Emily Martin, one of Etsy's top sellers, to make Black Apple Dolls. I originally found out about this through Homemade by Jill. I have been wanting to make one of these dolls for a while.

Enter 3/6/10 - the first birthday of Sarah D. Most of the doll was made during my periods of insomnia between 3 and 5 AM. (Thank you Baby Schlotty). The instructions call for hand sewing most of the doll. I did some hand sewing but also tried to machine sew some of it. If you decide to do this, make sure you have a fairly wide stitch on your machine. I ended up stitching it too tight and had to re-sew a lot of the doll by hand.

The instructions call for a painted face. I preferred Jill's embroidered faces to as I said, I found some tutorials on The Purl Bee to embroider the face. I also dipped a Q-tip in some blush for her cheeks.

The fun thing about these dolls is that you can jazz them up as much as you want. I did not include any buttons, sequins, etc since this was destined for a one-year old. Aunt Amy does not want to be responsible for choking!

So here is my Sarah doll-



I was very happy with how it turned out!

2 comments:

slunz said...

That is super cute! Nice job Amy!

caroldes7 said...

This doll is even cuter in person. As soon as I handed the doll to Sarah she hugged it and gave it an "Ahhh luh ooooh!" This morning she went right back to it again. I think she likes it's skinny arms and legs... a good size for her to grab on to and fling around! Thanks, Aunt Amy!!!