Thursday, February 18, 2010

Re-evaluating the Handmade Gift Pledge

Here are some recent crafting adventures.

A couple of weeks ago I attended a baby shower for a friend. I didn't really have time or energy to go 100% handmade with their gift so I purchased the bottles, nipples, brush cleaners from their registry and made them burp cloths using Jill's Tutorial. They turned out pretty cute.




Then it was C's birthday. I made her a Buttercup Bag, tutorial available here, and a flower pin, tutorial by Martha.

The bag was very easy. I did make a few modifications to the tutorial and added heavyweight interfacing. I think it would be really flimsy without it. And I'm not entirely satisfied with the way the tutorial instructs you to put on the strap. I think it would look cleaner if you put the strap in between the lining and bag. Still, it is an easy project that turns out cute. The other bonus is that it requires two fat quarters of material.


The flower brooch was also very easy. Along with the peony, I made the dahlia. I love the dahlia but I made it the biggest size and it turns out huge. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I added a sequiny embellishment that I bought while shopping at Mood Fabrics in NYC (Hello, Project Runway!). I thought it jazzed it up a bit ;)



Unfortunately all my gifts have been late so far this year. Thus, I don't think 2010 is going to be the year of handmade gifts the way that 2009 was. I was way more on top of things last year and to be honest, am going to be a little selfish this year since I have stuff that I actually want to make for myself. At the risk of being lumped in with she-devil Sandra Lee, I probably will aim for semi-homemade gifts. Ugh. I hate myself for even typing that.

I also think that Schlocks are going to be a thing of the past. They were fun while they lasted, helped build my sewing skills, and even helped buy me a fancy upgrade of a sewing machine. Thank you to all of you who ordered some and all of you who advertised for me.

No comments: