Sunday, January 24, 2010

2010 Crafting Kick Off

I am attempting to continue my resolution that I started last year to make as many gifts as possible in 2010. First up was my friend Ali's birthday in early January AND the arrival of her 2nd son, Felix a week earlier. The gift was a little late due to the fact that the holidays and our vacation did not allow me to get going (oh, and some minor procrastination!).

First up, the boys. You may recall that Ali sent me some organic cotton knit fabric that she won in a blog contest a few months ago. I knew she loved the fabric so I tucked it away. I thought it would be fun to make her boys matching pj pants. So voila - Big Brother and Little Brother PJ Pants were born:



This fabric was from Spoonflower, which essentially screen prints patterns on fabric. This allows you to design your own fabric! The fabric was wonderful to work with - a very soft organic cotton knit. I am curious to see how the fabric holds up with washing. Does the print fade? I also noticed that they stop the print about an inch short of the borders so you have to be careful when working on the fold.

I also had some organic fabric from a request for organic Schlocks that I received, so I made some newborn Schlocks for Felix in a coordinating mustard polka dot:

This fabric is from the new Cloud9 organic fabric line. It was very thin fabric so the interfacing that the pattern calls for was key.

For her birthday, I made her a Birdie Sling. This has turned out to be a great pattern - everyone I make one for loves it! The "Alison" was my 4th Birdie Sling. (The Amanda was my first, followed by The Sarah, and My Mom's). I love this pattern. It is tedious to cut out all the materials, but once you get all the cutting done and interfacings adhered, it is a breeze. (Disclaimer: Cutting is my least favorite part of sewing.) The bag is nice and roomy too. I present, The Alison:


The Interior:

The fabrics I used for this included some linen (also used for my mom's bag and my mother-in-law's table runner) that I got at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I should have picked up a whole bolt of this as I love working with it and it is a great neutral. The blue leaf fabric is from fabric.com (a minor addiction i have) called Country Fair Leaves in Blue Cotton Duck Cloth (designed by Denyse Schmidt for Free Spirit Fabrics). Duck Cloth (aka Canvas) was a great fabric choice for this bag as you do not have to use as much interfacing. Unfortunately it looks like this fabric is no longer available on fabric.com but there is a messenger bag on Etsy for sale that uses it!

2010 crafting is off to a great start. Now onto those February birthdays...

1 comment:

Ali said...

I'm in love! And the best part is that I was the recipient of the crafts. :) When I am not dealing with the Heintz House of painful toots, I'll get back to blogging and will do an ode to Amy and her craft post--and will get some more pics of the "goods" in full action (i.e. on the boys). The fabric really is so soft! And the bag is to die for--I am going to use it as a diaper bag, too. I am truly humbled by your generosity, but also your talent.

THANK YOU!!!