Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What can I say, I happen to be an aficionado of the dive bar.”

That's right - yet another blog post dedicated to Anthony Bourdain. I can't help it - I love the guy!

Last night was a lazy sort of night. We got in two episodes of No Reservations - one where he was touring around Chile and one where he has Zamir (from the Romania episode!) come to the USA and go with him to Baltimore, Detroit and Buffalo. We knew we were in for a good episode when Zamir came on the screen! While in Baltimore, Bourdain met up with not one but two stars from The Wire, which he called, "the greatest show on television". Given that we just finished season 1 a couple of weeks ago and season 2 is almost here via the library, we loved that comment.

While in Buffalo, which we thought was very similar to MKE, we started strategizing how we could get Bourdain to come to Wisconsin. He could even stay in our guestroom, ha ha ha.

During commercial breaks, I finished Kitchen Confidential! I really enjoyed it. I felt like I was reading an episode of No Reservations - his personality is all over the book. Part of the book also took place in Les Halles, which of course we visited in NYC so that was fun to read and think back to my meal there (even though Bourdain isn't there anymore).

2 comments:

Silky Jess said...

One of Jason's bandmates was in that Buffalo episode, because he plays with Nelson Starr (the guy who showed Anthony and Zamir around town). From your posts, I think Buffalo is very much like MKE. I am guessing MKE has regional favorites to match chicken wings and beef on weck. I am also willing to bet MKE has a place like Ulrich's (the bar/restaurant they went to the first night).

By the way, I loved that Bourdain was not only brave enough to come when it was snowing here, but actually seemed to revel in it. Nice to see someone open to the joys of different places (and dive bars).

hassiesklem said...

...........................................