Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hell, I still love you, New York

The Travel Recap Continues....

Days 2 & 3: Sunday & Monday in NYC!

We woke up on Sunday and decided to get some food. We had breakfast, toured Grand Central Station (pic below) and the United Nations that morning.

We then had to check out of the Royalton to get to our next hotel, The Empire Hotel. Why wouldn't we stay in one hotel the entire time, you might ask? Simple. We booked both hotels through Travelzoo and neither one had all nights available. I thought it would be a pain, but it was fun to stay in two different hotels. We got to our hotel, near Columbus Circle & Lincoln Center, just in time to see the end of the NY Marathon. Paula Radcliffe is still my hero even if she got 4th. Then it was time to hit up 5th Avenue!

We had wanted to have tea at The Plaza, but the tea room was under construction. Nate took my picture outside of it nonetheless.

After that it was shopping and sightseeing along 5th Avenue. Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral (GORGEOUS), Tiffany, Cartier, etc. We went to Bloomingdales and I was talked into getting red lipstick. I now love red lipstick. After Bloomingdale's we ate at Serendipity. This place was not at all what I thought it would be - and I mean that in a good way. It was very small and very eclectic. We started with a frozen hot chocolate as an appetizer!

After Serendipity, we headed to Manolo Blahnick and MOMA. I did not buy any shoes. When it came down to it, I couldn't really fathom spending $700+ on a pair of shoes. I guess I am just a practical WI girl at heart. Nate was almost begging me to buy shoes but I didn't find "the pair".

We took a short rest in our hotel room - check out our lovely view!


We headed to Carnegie Deli for a pastrami sandwich and matzo ball soup. It was fantastic. After the deli, we headed to the roof of our hotel for a cocktail. I really wanted my picture underneath the neon Hotel Empire sign but it was too big and Nate wasn't about to hang off the side of the roof to get the whole shot. You can quasi see the red lips in this pic :)


After our really expensive cocktails, we decided to get a bottle of wine and head to our room. Well, we walked EVERYWHERE for this stupid bottle of wine and couldn't find any. My brother-in-law told us about a yummy frozen yogurt place, Pinkberry. People, Pinkberry was like the oasis in the desert. I saw it and literally screamed (on the sidewalks of NYC) "PINKBERRYYYYY". Then I got a hold of myself and said to my husband, "Did I really just scream as loud as I think I did?" He confirmed that I had. No matter, Pinkberry was really yummy.

We headed into this convenience store after that and found four bottles of wine. Hoorray! We headed back to our room. We got up to the room and Nate noticed that the alcohol content was really low. It turns out we should have read the label - we had bought wine product, which tasted like really awful grape juice. Sigh. We decided to retire for the evening.

Day 3: Monday
Monday we got up early because we decided that we were going to do one of those bus tours where you ride on the roof. We had heard these were really good, and a good way to see a lot of the sights in a short amount of time. Our first tour was the Uptown tour which took you through Central Park west, past the Dakota (where Lennon was shot and Yoko still resides), Grant's Tomb, up through Harlem & the Apollo Theatre, and down Central Park East past the Guggenheim, The Frick & the Met. Well, our tour guide boarded the bus and starting chanting "Ah-OOOH-Ga, Ah-OOOOH-Ga". Nate and I thought he may have been drunk. In hindsight, we should have just gotten off that bus and boarded another bus. We did not. As you can imagine, there was not a lot of information that we received on this tour besides, "Look at the beautiful leaves. The pretty leaves, Aren't this just Beautiful" and a lot of Shist Jokes - Shist is the rock that Manhattan is on. There are a lot of Shist rocks in Central Park. It also was really really cold on top of that bus!

Luckily, the downtown tours were better. We took the downtown tour through Greenwich Village and got off to meet our friend, PS, who is at NYU. P took us to this fun restaurant, Bar 89, for lunch. CRAZY enough the restaurant is owned by the same people who own Elsa's On the Park right here in MKE! Probably the craziest thing about Bar 89 is the bathroom. It looks like people can see you when you are using the facility, but they really can't. Hard to explain - you'll just have to go and experience it!

After Bar 89, we did some shopping in SoHo. I went to Top Shop. It was here that I realized that NYC sizes are not the same as everywhere else sizes. Welcome to a few sizes bigger. Oh well. TopShop was a fun place. PS also took us to Uniqlo, where I bought lots of leggings and another pair of skinny jeans....again several sizes larger than I normally wear. I LOVED SoHo.

We said goodbye to PS and got back on the bus to go to the World Trade Center site and the financial district. We also went to Century 21, which was a hot mess. We got back on the bus to go through the East Village, Midtown neighborhoods and were dropped off near our hotel. We walked to Ollie's Noodle Shop for dinner, near our hotel. We had dessert at Magnolia Bakery...not the "real one" but the location nearest our hotel on the upper west side. Those cupcakes were phenomenal. We did a little shopping around our hotel - Sabon, Fresh, and Lululemon. We walked back through the Lincoln Center Plaza, which is beautiful at night, and the sight of a celeb sighting and meeting the very next day. Stay Tuned!

Title comes from the Song New York, New York by Ryan Adams, which my roommate CP and I were addicted to back in college. Click here for a listen.

4 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

The size thing is not NYC. Top Shop is a British company. I still have cute underwear from Top Shop from a trip I made to Scotland 10 years ago.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic said...

OH my gosh, I grew up in the NYC area and haven't done as much as you did on this trip. Hats off you to for making NYC yours!

BTW, the song...I was living in Boston when it came out and actually cried the first time I heard it. I still love it!

chacha said...

I totally remember that song but I think that maybe I was just out of college when it was out - like 2001 or something. Whatever happened to that guy - he has some albums but the only song that had mainstream appeal was the New York song.

Glad you had a good time - NYC is such a fun city. And as far as wine goes, usually any supermarket type store sells it - they can carry beer and wine in grocery stores but none of the hard stuff!

caroldes7 said...

This sounds so fun. Definitely way more than I have done in several trips to NY! Not that I am surprised! :) Who does spend $700 on shoes?!