Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Go Ahead...Bite the Big Apple

We're BAAAACK!

I don't know if one post will entirely capture everything so I will be recapping our eleven day trip to New York City & Philadelphia in the days ahead starting with Day 1.

Oct 31, 2009

We had a 7:30 flight into Manhattan. Upon arrival, we found a driver to take us from La Guardia airport to our hotel. While we were driving to our hotel, I noticed an Asics store poster announcing that Deena Kastor was going to be in the store in 20 minutes! We checked into the swanky Royalton Hotel in Midtown. Unfortunately because we were early our room that we reserved was not ready. "Lemme Lemme Upgrade Upgrade you" was their response - so instead of our standard room we had a fireplace!! Not so unfortunate after all!

We immediately headed to Asics to meet Deena Kastor. She was really nice and signed a personal note on a poster of herself for me.

After meeting Deena, we toured around midtown. New York Library (gorgeous!), Bryant Park, Empire State Building, Mood Fabrics (where they shop on Project Runway), Garment district, Gray's Papaya, NYC Marathon expo, Macy's and so forth. THANK GOD I had my Clark's on because it was a ton of walking. That night we had tickets to West Side Story in Times Square. We ate at Scarlatto which was muy tasty. After eating, we had some time to kill so we sat on the red TKTS steps and watched the crazy Halloween costumes. Crazy enough, there was a couple sitting ahead of us that took the following picture and they were not only from Wisconsin, but were on our same flight from MKE! What are the chances of that happening!

After the people watching, we headed in to the theatre for the show. Oh my lord, West Side Story was AMAZING. I was convinced I was going to be singing those songs all week. It was updated from the original to contain more Spanish, which we both thought seemed more natural that the Sharks would be speaking more Spanish. And oh the dancing....

We returned to the hotel where there were velvet ropes blocking the entrance. Apparently one happening Halloween Party occurs in the lobby. We stayed for approximately 5 minutes and then went up to bed. If the Clarks shoes didn't make me old, this did. :)

And just like that, Day 1 was over!

Title of this post comes from Shattered by the Rolling Stones. Click here for a listen

2 comments:

Ali said...

I've been anxiously awaiting this post--or series of posts! I've seen the pictures, and now I need the discussion

caroldes7 said...

what a day 1! love the upgrade. glad the show was amazing!