Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Books!



Our October book was When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. In general, I would say this book was a quick, easy read but a little too melodramatic and unrealistic for me. Not that every book I like has to be realistic (e.g. Harry Potter) but, in my opinion, it seemed like the author was trying to get you to identify with the characters and I didn't. Someone in the club mentioned that the book reminded her of one of those nicholas sparks movies, which I would say is right on. I gave this book 2 stars on my Goodreads profile (out of 5).

Since we did a bit of travel via Amtrak recently, I have also read a lot of additional books. Case Histories was recommended to me by an avid read friend and I really enjoyed it. It is sort of a combo mystery/novel. I started this in the morning and finished it by evening because I couldn't put it down. I really like books that intertwine bunch of characters and stories and bring them together. I gave this book 4 stars on my Goodreads profile.

Speaking of which, People of the Book (which I mentioned yesterday) is another type of those intertwining books. I LOVED THIS BOOK. A bookseller from The Little Read Book recommended it to me when my mom, aunt & I went there during Diva Night otherwise I'm not sure that I would have come across this gem. I gave it 5 stars in my Goodreads profile.

I also read The Wonder Spot, which was sent to me ages ago by CD. This is by the same author as The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing, so if you liked that book, you will probably like this one. I actually liked The Wonder Spot better than The Girls Guide but both received 3 stars in my Goodreads profile.

Next up:

I am currently reading (if you count being on page 3 as "reading") The Map of Love. This book was a Booker Prize finalist. I have a very strong bias towards Booker Prize books - I had never heard of the prize until college when I took an English course which was all about books of the Booker Prize. It was one of my favorite classes I have ever taken and one where I was way out of my league, surrounded by English majors that I had major crushes on.

November's book club selection is The Sportswriter by Richard Ford. I will be missing the meeting due to being in Philly but will probably still read this.

Anything good that YOU have been reading?

1 comment:

Amy Badler said...

I get so jealous reading your blog entries about all the books you've been reading. I wish that I was able to read for pleasure, but school reading always seems to get in the way. Oh well, at least I have a really long list of books to check out at some point and in the mean time can live vicariously through you!