Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's in the Bag

The bags are done!

First up, the Birdie Sling:




I am very pleased with how this turned out and can't wait to give it to she who shall not be named that is turning 2-1 next month. (and also doesn't read my blog so I know this will be safe)

The inside is also lined with several pockets:



The yellow fabric is Amy Butler Lotus Wall Flower Mustard and the green (top border with handle) is the Amy Butler Midwest Modern Garden Maze Olive. I know for a fact that the inteded recipient will like the mustard fabric - she was here when it was delivered and was oogling it.



Now for the pattern review:
I thought this was an easy pattern. I thought that the material requirements listed were very generous - I used maybe 3/4 yard of the mustard and not the 2 and 1/4 that is called for in the pattern. I think the fusible fleece is a bit overkill. It makes the bag a bit heavy, although I think one could carry heavier items with it in there. Some reviews of this pattern that I found online said they had a hard time with the gussets. I think because my bachelorette bags and the clutch I made both had gussets, I didn't have an issue with them. I plan on making a few more of these for some upcoming November Birthdays.

And Bag #2: The Frenchy Bag Handbag.

This is the smaller version of the shoulder bag I made for BLK. This is also a birthday present getting shipped off tomorrow.




It is lined in some fun fabric as well:


Fabrics used for this bag include Mid Century Modern Wave in Mustard, the Blue fabric is Arcadia by Sanae for Moda Fabrics, and the Lining Fabric is Joel Dewberry Rose. I ordered the mustard and lining fabric from fabric.com and the moda was in a fat quarter bundle that i bought from Patched Works in Elm Grove.

The Frenchy Bag pattern is VERY easy. It is a good beginner bag. Again, I would say that you don't need nearly as much material as Ms. Butler says you do, especially if you mix and match materials for the pockets, lining, etc.

1 comment:

chacha said...

So cute! You are quite the seamstress. I can't wait to be done with the major projects and start learning how to use that sewing machine I bought... oh... a YEAR AGO.