Monday, October 5, 2009

9 months down...Return to the Resolution List

The year is three-quarters over so I have been reflecting on my new years resolutions.

1. Logging my running miles. Ugh. This one is down the toilet. I started off strong, made it to the one-quarter mark and that is that. Maybe it will reappear on the 2010 list.

2. Triathlon. Definitely not happening in 2009.

3. Clean/Organize closets: Done!

4. Read 30 books. I think I can do this. As of today I have read the following 23 books since 1/1/09:
White Teeth
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Julie & Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen
The Great Man: A Novel
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Anna Karenina
Revolutionary Road
Animal Vegetable Miracle: A Year of Food Life
North River: A Novel
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Possession: A Romance
The God of Small Things
Love and Other Impossible Pursuits
The Book Thief
Commencement: A Novel
Farm City
The Girl who Played with Fire
The Likeness: A Novel
When Crickets Cry
The Wonder Spot
Case Histories: A Novel

Only 7 left to go!
Sidebar: What is up with books having ":A Novel" in the title?

5. Various cooking-related goals. I have to retry the lemon meringue pie before new years eve and try making ribs.

6. Send 52 letters/cards to family friends for non-birthday reasons. This is not going to happen either. But, I really want to get on Press & Post subscription next year to help me fulfill it.

7. Learn to knit. Done!

8. Make the Stitch Skirt. I started making a different skirt in this magazine and I'm not sure about it. It is kind of a wrap skirt and first I sewed the pieces together wrong, ripped it out, and then sewed them the EXACT same way the second time. Luckily the 3rd time was a charm. Then I had to sew the placket on. I wasn't really sure what a placket was and attached it to the skirt on what I thought (based on reading the instructions) was correct. I even had to HAND STITCH part of it and I got it all done and it looked beautiful and then I looked up what a placket was. Turns out it is NOT suppossed to go along the waistband, like I thought. It should go down the front to provide reinforcement for the buttons. After I realized that, no more work has been done on the hot pink linen wrap skirt. And now that hot pink linen really won't work for the fall/winter season, I'm not so sure I'm going to finish that anytime soon!

9. Vacation. We had to abandon the Europe trip and instead are spening a week in NYC! WOOHOO!

And now...the house related resolutions:

1. Finish the kitchen. We have to convert our current situation from electric to gas and buy the stove. Seriously..we are dragging on this! This exact same sentence appeared in my 6 month recap. No work in the past 3 months on this! however, we did schedule an appointment to do the conversion so this will definitely be done in 2009.

2. Replace all heat vent covers. Done!

3. Bathroom. We are having a plumber come and assess the moving the toilet situation. It all depends on that, folks so we'll see what he says!

4. Landscaping. Done!

5. Move the piano. Done!

It looks like nine of my fourteen resolutions will be accomplished. 64%. That is a "D". Oh well. I would say 2009 has been a really great year regardless.

No comments: