Thursday, July 30, 2009

Beets!

My workplace has had numerous "wellness initiatives" over the past year, including the newest: a weekly farmer's market! I think this was a brilliant idea because I rarely get a chance to go to any of the weekend farmer's markets, it is a nice break from work, and very convenient. Yesterday I brought home some beets, corn, zuchini and cucumbers. I have had beets twice in the last week and each time I ate them I thought, "MMM. I love beets. Why have I never made these before?"

So i took the $3 plunge and bought some beets.


Now, how was I going to make them? I thought for the first go round I would make them very simple. I roasted them, tossed them with olive oil, salt & pepper and they were fantastic. Even Nate, who was "moderately ok" with beets, loved them.



I saved the beet greens for tonight - The Joy of Cooking says you can cook them much like chard, so we're going to give it a go.

I also used the grater attachment on my food processor to grate a zuchini to make chocolate zuchini cake.

The last time I made and ate this cake was during my bridal shower when I had to give a blindfolded Nate instructions for making the cake. (Don't you just love bridal shower games?!)

I remembered this b/c I still had the card with the recipe on it and it was all smudged with my chocolate fingerprints. This time around, the cake turned out much better!

1 comment:

Old MD Girl said...

I was just thinking that the beet leaves looked just like swiss chard. How'd they turn out?

The beets looked really yummy. Maybe I'll get some at the grocery store this weekend....