Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Basil Saved by Last Minute Transplant

"We're having a heat wave...a tropical heat wave."

I recently bought a basil plant from Trader Joes. I planted basil seeds a few weeks ago, but I am growing tired from watching them s-l-o-w-l-y grow. I want pesto NOW! I had planned on transferring the basil from it's cheap-o plastic pot to our yard but sort of forgot. It started to look a little wilty so I thought it wasn't getting enough sun and I moved it outside. Well, summer officially arrived over the weekend and when I got home from work last night the basil plant was barely making it. You will just have to trust me when I say this as I didn't take a picture. I rapidly planted it in the ground and poured tons of water with some miracle gro on it. Then i said a short prayer.

We decided to go to the lakefront last night to run, followed by dinner at whole foods. When we got home, we swore the plant was looking a little straighter.

This morning, I checked it when i got home from my morning speed workout (mile repeats, oh joy!) and seriously, it looks like it did when we bought it! Complete recovery! Here's hoping it survives through our heat index of 100 today!

No comments: