Friday, June 26, 2009

Amaze-MINT


No, this is not about Michael Jackson, although that is some shocking news. I rather enjoyed the MJ video montage put on by MTV last night. While Thriller of course is awesome, I forgot how much I also love the You Rock My World video. RIP MJ!

My mom gave me some mint last year. I planted it in the ground and THEN found out it is an invasive species i.e. IT SPREADS. Thus, we have a lot of mint. Last night Nate and I attempted to recreate some watermelon mojitos that we had with BCK at Cubanitas. The first attempt was only ok, but after we got the hand blender out to puree the watermelon, it was perfect! While I highly recommend the Cubanitas version if you are ever visiting downtown Milwaukee, here is basically what we did (based on me watching Nate):

Make a simple syrup by boiling one cup of water and dissolving one cup of sugar in it. Puree a couple of cubes of watermelon in a blender. In a tall glass, put some mint in the bottom and well as some lime chunks. Muddle it. Pour in a little bit of the syrup with a little bit of the watermelon puree. Top with rum and a splash of club soda. Pour in a shaker or stir well. Enjoy!

I also have been adding some mint leaves to my water at work - very refreshing during this hot weather!

If any one has some great uses for mint, please share!

Photo Source: Martha Stewart, who also makes a watermelon mojito

No comments: