Sunday, May 17, 2009

Yesterday was a big day!

Yesterday was a big day for Ryan & Karen, whose wedding we attended. It was at Holy Hill, a beautiful location for a wedding ceremony. My bro-in-law took a picture of us right ouside the basicila. No there wasn't a flock of seagulls reunion, the wind and my hair were not cooperating!


Before the wedding, I went to the Friends of Hoyt Park Sporting Goods Resale, hoping to find a bike for myself. The only bikes I found were for my 3-year old niece, who is coming away with 2 bikes and 1 scooter for $14 - what a deal!


Yesterday was also a big day for my friends BLK and CAP who graduated! Congrats Ladies!!!

And finally, MLH turned the big 1 yesterday. I made him these crazy quilted blocks to play with.


I have seen these in the blogosphere and on etsy, but used Amy Butler's instructions from Little Stitches for Little Ones. They called for some extra craziness with mixing smaller squares and stripes. The instructions call for using just 3 different coordinating fabrics, which I did not do - I used my fabric collection in a variety of colors and prints. I figured they would at least be more interesting to look at then! For those of you who want to tackle this project, I have included very abbreviated instructions below:

Material Needed for 9 blocks:
AB gives you these requirements: 3/8 yard each of 3 different prints, 3/8 yard of a solid fabric and 1/4 yard of a second solid. Or you can do what I did and use your own stash of fabrics.

You need to cut 72 squares measuring 2 3/4" by 2 3/4"
36 rectangles measuring 2 1/8" x 4 1/2"
18 rectangles measuring 2 1/4" x 4 1/2"
and 18 squares measuring 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"

When you have everything cut, take the 72 little squares into groups of four and sew them together like a checkerboard. You will have 18 squares measuring 4 1/2" x 4 1/2when you are done with this. (use 1/2" seams and I cannot emphasize enough to PRESS your seams after each sew. Yes, this is putzy and takes a while, but it is worth it!).

Then you take 2 of the 36 rectangles and 1 of the 18 rectangles and sew them together to create the striped block side, with the 2 1/4" x 4 1/2" rectangle in the middle of the other 2 rectangles. You will end up with 18 of these blocks measuring 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" when finished.

After all of this sewing and pressing, you will have 18 blocks that look like checkerboards, 18 striped blocks and your 18 original squares that you cut to be 4 1/2 x 4 1/2. Each block with require 2 squares from each of these groups to be sewn together. Take a checkerboard (CB) and a stripe (ST) and sew them together, leaving about a 1/2" unsewn on each end. (This will be necessary when you go to sew the top and bottom on.) Then take a checkerboard and sew it to the stripe side and another stripe to sew to that checkerboard. You will have a strip of 4 squares: CB + ST + CB + ST. Make a loop and sew the ST side to the first CB. Then take your solid squares and sew them to the top and bottom, leaving about 2 inches unsewn so you can stuff the squares. You will have to hand sew them closed. Repeat 9 times and you will have 9 blocks!

As I said, this is abbreviated from the 4 pages of instructions and helpful diagrams that are in the book, which I got from our local library. Otherwise, check out several sellers on Etsy!

Now I am off to finish tiling!!!

No comments: