Wednesday, April 15, 2009

More on cooking...

Well, we still ate the pie last night. It was like eating lemon pudding at least and not lemon soup. I think I am going to try a new recipe. Damn, I am going to Master the Art of the Lemon Meringue pie if it kills me!

I also finished Animal Vegetable Miracle. You are probably thinking, "good - we can finally stop reading about it on this blog!". I gave it 3 stars on my GoodReads profile. Overall, liked parts of the book and I think it is worth reading. I didn't love it though and as I have said before, Kingsolver just came off as very preachy in parts which I didn't like. My reaction may be shaped by my prior expectations, which happens with me a lot. I expected the book more to be a memoir of their year of raising thier own food, including trials, mishaps, funny stories, successess, etc. I felt like most of the book was actually trying to persuade readers that you are evil if you don't eat local foods and grown your own food. I also think that she made the whole thing seem so easy to have a farm and glorified it rather than portrayed it realistically. My family members are farmers so I know that it isn't all the glory of canning tomatoes and waiting for turkeys to hatch (which was my favorite part of the whole book). Anyways, those are my thoughts, and I say them as someone who agrees with and see the benefits of the local food movement and likes cooking versus eating out, even if I did threaten to only eat Lean Cuisine with my last post. :) I am curious to check out Food Matters by Bittman and The Omnivore's Dilemma by Pollan to compare.

I did read about a great food blog - fresh365. I definitely recommend checking it out!

No comments: