I am pooped. We had quite the weekend and got a TON of stuff done around the house.
We bought some mulch to fill our flower beds/garden with. Our mulch was looking a little sad last year but we never did anything about it so this year they got a makeover. Additionally, we replaced our sump pump hose. Nate also scrubbed our deck. It was looking greenish and so we did some research on the Internet. Turns out that oxygenated bleach (aka Oxiclean) is recommended. It worked like a charm! I really wish I had taken a before and after picture but I wasn't really thinking. You'll have to trust me on this one. The back of the oxi-clean bucket tells you what proportion of oxiclean and water to use.
Our daffodils are THIS CLOSE to blooming! Exciting!
We took down the pantry doors, sanded, primed and painted them, and rehung them with some new hinges. We have yet to paint the trim around the doors or put a final coat on them, but huge improvement to a side of the kitchen we tend NOT to photograph:
We also tried baked eggs for dinner. I read about the recipe on Angry Chicken . Here they are before going into the oven:
I also made some bread to go with our baked eggs. I was inspired by two things: 1) Steven Hopp's essay on homemade bread in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle where he tells you to dig out the old breadmaker and use it; and 2) Nate threatening to take the breadmaker to Goodwill because I never use it. This second item is true. I have had the breadmaker since high school and I probably have made Nate bread one time in the seven years that I have known him. So I dusted it off, found the manual, bought some bread flour and got set to make bread. Our kitchen was smelling GLORIOUS. The beeper went off and this is what we had:
It's ok. You can laugh - we certainly did. Bring out the troubleshooting section of the manual. It turns out that I must have let the liquid touch the yeast, rendering it useless. Hence, the funny loaf of bread that you see here. We still ate the entire thing with our baked eggs and it still was delicious.
I repotted some of our house plants that were outgrowing their pots. I'll have to take pictures of them at a different time. While doing this I noticed that my basil has sprouted!!! I was very excited!
I also went for a long-ish run (8.05 miles...I'm at the point where I count the .05 - my half marathon is less than 3 weeks away!) and started a new sewing project. I had to take a break from knitting because my wrist sort of hurt! I know...I have a craft-induced injury. This also cracks me up. I am almost certain they don't have an MMWR on that.