Sunday, April 19, 2009

A great weekend

I took a day of vacation on Friday because work has made me very frazzled over the past couple of weeks. Turns out it was a perfect day for a day off - it was 70 degrees! I got up when Nate left for work, continued on a sewing project with some coffee, went out for a run/walk, went to the library, and read some of my book. Lovely! Friday night we washed our windows - the winter makes them so gross and literally black, made some risotto and watched a movie.

Saturday morning I tried spinning for the first time bright and early. Rolling out of bed at 6:20 on a Saturday morning to get my a** kicked by a stationary bike might not be my normal idea of fun, but my boss talked me into it. I actually really liked it, although, like swimming, my body does not adapt well to non-running exercise. I feel like I could easily go out and run for an hour, but one lap in a pool or 5 minutes on a bike and I am dying. I made it through spin and am now going to try to go to one or two classes per week.

Saturday was another lovely 70 degree day where we finally saw our daffodils bloom! We also planted a lot of grass (more on that mid-week), hung our bedding outside (NOTHING beats the smell of the sun!), cleaned and aired out the entire house and made a lot of great food including eggs florentine omelets, homemade chocolate pudding (recipe below), and cobb salad, the ingredients to which made excellent paninins the next day.

THEN today it rained. All day. Sigh. The good news is that Nate helped me go through all of my clothes and shoes and i have a big bag of shoes and a monster lawn bag full of clothes to donate. It is amazing how much more room is in our closet! We watched Alex for a few hours tonight and he also helped us with the clothes. He finally convinced to me to get rid of the orange halter top. Thanks Alex! Check out the little cutie:


Here is the pudding recipe. Trust me - homemade pudding is so worth it.

Vanilla Pudding - America's Test Kitchen

3/4 cup sugar
2 TB cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups half and half
3 large eggs yolks
1 TB butter
1 TB vanilla

**We made chocolate - so if you are so inclined, the recipe changes slighlty to 4 tsp cornstarch, 2 TB dutch processed cocoa powder and 6 oz melted chocolate (we used a combination of bittersweet and 60% cocao). You also need to reduce the vanilla to 2 tsp.

1. Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt (and cocoa powder if making chocolate) in a medium sauce pan. Slowly whisk in half and half and then egg yolks. (If making chocolate, melt the 6 oz chocolate and pour in after egg yolks).

2. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking gentrly but constantly and scraping the bottom and sides of the pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until pudding is thick and coats the back of a spoon.

3. Strain the pudding through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, scraping the inside of the strainer with a rubber spatula to pass the pudding through. Stir the butter and vanilla into the pudding until the butter is melted. Pour into ramekins. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.

1 comment:

Erica said...

That salad looks amazing! :-)