Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chicken & Artichoke Pie

Obviously a roast chicken has way more meat on it than Nate & I can handle for one dinner. So recipes like the following are great because they use up the leftover chicken.

I am a huge fan of cookbooks and reading them to find recipes for the week. I realize that at some point, most likely after we start having kids, my life will become really hectic and I will fall into a rotation of the same five meals and not have time for the luxury of reading cookbooks. I like making as many different meals as possible and then we vote on whether we would eat it again. This helps weed out a lot of the recipes ripped from magazines as well. If the recipes are in cookbooks, and we love them, they get tabbed.

The following recipe is from Roy Finamore's Tasty cookbook, given to me this past birthday from my bro-in-law, Nick. This is the first thing I made out of it, but if the other recipes are as marvelous as this one, it was a good purchase.

Chicken & Artichoke Pie

For the pastry

1 cup all-purpose flour
grated zest of 1 small lemon (i only used zest from half a lemon)
salt
8 tb (1 stick) butter
cold water

For the filling
3 TB butter
1 onion, chopped
salt
3 TB flour
2 cups chicken stock
pepper
1/4 tsp tarragon
13.75 oz of artichokes (drained and quartered if using canned)
half a leftover roast chicken, skin removed and meat cut into chunks
1/2 pound small red-skinned potatoes, boiled until just tender
3 or 4 large eggs, hard-cooked*** (i did not use these because I wasn't going to add more cooking time onto this - I was hungry)

Milk
coarse sea salt

For the pastry:
Toss flour, salt & zest into food processor. While food processor is running, drop small bits of butter in until you use the whole stick. Add cold water by the tablespoon until dough forms a ball (usually 1-2 TB). Form a disc, wrap in plastic, put in refrigerator for 30 minutes. (I refrigerated it for as long as it took me to prepare the filling, so not quite 30 minutes).

For the filling:
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, pinch of salt and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Spoon in the flour, stir and cook for about 2 mintues, until bubbling. Pour chicken stock, stirring well to dissolve the roux, and bring to a boil. reduce heat, season with salt, pepper & tarragon, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in artichokes, chicken and potatoes. Scrape into gratin dish. Slice eggs, if using, and nestle them into the filling.

Unwrap pastry and roll it on floured surface to a couple of inches larger than your dish. Lay it over the filling an dpush it just along the rim. Brush with milk, sprinkle with sea salt and cut a few vents in it.

Bake at 375 for an hour, until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling.

DO NOT SKIP THE ZEST! It has a wonderful flavor!

1 comment:

Holly said...

That sounds like how we do it too. I have a file folder full of ripped pages from magazines and we randomly try new dishes - then decide whether to eat them again. I haven't quite fallen into the rotation of the same five meals now that we have Alex, but I definitely don't try quite as many new recipes!