Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pecan Toffee Bars: A Good Investment?

I am responsible for bringing a "sweet treat" to my investment club meeting tonight. Investment club?! Que?! Yes, I started attending meetings in January and was officially voted in last month. Tonight is my first "official" meeting. The reason I joined the IC is to learn more about stocks and investing in general. To date, I usually turned over all the of the retirement account/investing decisions to my husband, given that this is his job. I am not able to have meaningful conversations with him about investing so I thought this would be a good way to get involved and "learn". I think I have already annoyed him with all of the questions I have had!

Back to the "sweet treat": Pecan Toffee Bars. These are a family favorite of mine, and indeed they made an appearance at the luncheon post-funeral last weekend. After downing not one, not two but THREE of these, I asked my mom for the recipe. She emailed it me. If the three bars did not give me a heart attack, learning the amount of butter that is in these did. WOWSAS. These are not for the faint of heart.

2 c flour
1 c br sugar
1/2 c butter

Mix w/mixer until crumbly. Press into 9 x 13 ungreased pan. Sprinkle 1 cup of pecan halves on top.

2/3 c butter
1/2 c br sugar

Melt over medium heat until top boils, then boil 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. pour over crust & bake in 350 oven for 18-22 minutes until the caramel is bubbly and crust is brown.

Immediately sprinkle 1 c choc chips over and let sit for 2-3 minutes, then swirl for marble effect, leaving some whole.

Yes, folks, that is correct: OVER ONE CUP OF BUTTER. No wonder these are so yummy!

No comments: