Friday, March 20, 2009

Diet Schmiet

This week was a pricey one.

1. I needed to get my haircut. I think my comment about sending a bottle of shampoo to Scarlett Johansen is coming back to bite me in the butt. I asked my stylist if she had any tips for diffusing my hair to make it curly. Once i had a fabulous haircut by an expensive guy b/c my cheap-o girl was sick. He gave me the secret to wearing my hair curly - mixing both Aveda Confixor and the Elixir leave-in conditioner and diffusing it. 80% of the time this works for me. I should have just been happy with that and let her flat iron my hair. I did not - I tried to increase that 80%. She proceeded to put a LOT of Bumble & Bumble Curl Creme in my hair. Then she twisted these one inch sections all over my head and began to diffuse them. After that she flat-ironed curled sections. It looked ok, but was still a little wet. About 2 hours later my hair did look quite good but I was on my way to bed. I also had visible gobs of the curl creme in the bad of my hair! I'm telling you - it was a LOT of curl creme.

Today i woke up and it looked a little ick. (ok a lot ick). I slept in a bit so was in a hurry and figured I could perform rescue work on it and didn't shampoo it. Rescue work did not work. Thus, I am having a really bad hair day. It sort of reminds me of the time when I tried using coconut oil in my hair post shampoo before I went to work. There are certain people at UofC that will never let me forget this. Ah well - TGIF. ($45)

2. After the haircut, I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics to buy elastic for Schlocks. I should have left there paying 81 cents after my 40% off coupon. I did not. I left there paying $14 because I could not avoid the remnant pile. The remnant pile is a great source of expensive decorator-weight fabrics, which are good for making market bags and a new kind of bag I made last night. (New bag will be updated later after the intended recipient has been given the bag). I found not one, but four remnants and they were 50% off. Anyone need a bag?

3. After Jo-Ann Fabrics, I went to Harry Schwartz Booksellers. Harry Schwartz is a great MKE bookstore that is closing. Sigh. I really hope Amazon and Kindles do not take over the world. I went to Harry Schwartz to scope out their remaining inventory. The crafting and cooking books were pretty much exhausted but I did get a cool book on Paris (which we hopefully will be going to SOON), and some novels. $34 later I left with a free galley copy of a book.

So last night threw the diet out the window. $93 in one night. I could rationalize and say that I still haven't spent all of my birthday money. Oh wait, I just said it. :)

Good thing I am currently leading our NCAA Bracket pool!! I only got one game wrong so far. As my dad said via email to me this morning, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while". If I win, I am buying a new sewing machine with my earnings.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Pretty Little World said...

Hi Amy!!

Congratulations!! You are the winner of the Pretty Little Giraffe and Adorable Little Giraffe prints!!

Just send me an e-mail (nikitajade@aol.com) with your address and I'll get those posted to you!

Congrats again and thanks so much for stopping by Pretty Little World!