Thursday, February 26, 2009

Crafting Nightmares


I arrived home from work last night to find two packages: one containing the pound of fabric scraps that I ordered from Beebee Mod during their president's day sale (and boy am I pleased with the "scraps"!) and one containing Amy Butler's Midwest Modern book from JT for my birthday!!! Well that was all the push I needed to get sewing ASAP.

I found these cute fabric animals online the other night and wanted to start on them. We were going to be visiting Baby Alex in about 45 minutes. "They don't look that hard, I could whip that up before we go". HA! I found out I am not quite the "whip-it-up crafter". First off, I neglected to flip the elephant over before I cut him out of the second fabric. I didn't figure this out of course until I sewed the ear on. I had to re-cut him. We have 30 minutes yet!

In my rush to stuff, I poked through one of his legs. AHHH! Forget it. I am not giving them something that resembles a chew toy AFTER the dog got it. Actually Nate recommended bringing it for their dog Madison. It would have taken a dog 2 seconds to rip this thing apart - that is how poorly constructed it was! I took pictures:
Side 1

Side 2

Back to the drawing board with that one!

When we got home, we had some of Brooke's Delicious Turkey Sandwiches and then I continued making this pajama shirt for my niece. I should have just realized that my sewing was going nowhere yesterday and read a book or something else. What did I do? I sewed the arms shut. Tra-la-la, I continued stitching all around the outside of the shirt to sew the front and back pieces together. I went into the living room to show Nate and realized that no one was going to be wearing that shirt! This is why seam rippers were invented.

After that, I stopped sewing and joined my husband to watch Law & Order.

2 comments:

Crazy 8s said...

Hi Amy,
I just wanted to let you know that I think the pajama kimono shirt is super-cute. it would actually go great with your wide let pj pants too. maybe you could make the pants out of the trim fabric from the shirt?
I wish I could sew!!!
R

Tara said...

Little animals look so easy to make but for some reason first couple are kind of a challenge! I bet the next ones will go better.