Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cheetos may just save the world (Or I had a Bad Day)

Today started off rather well. I found a pair of pants in my closet with the tags still on that I bought when I lived in ATLANTA (read: over 5 years ago). I tried them on and decided they were great and wondered why I hadn't worn them in all of this time!

I got in the car and headed off to work (early for a change).

I have a 2.5 mile commute to the office. At about mile 1.7, I was stopped at a red light and I notice a woman in my rear view mirror get out of her car and run up to me. "Your back tire looks really low" she said. I immediately called Nate who asked if I could get to an auto repair shop at that moment. Since I had an early morning meeting, I couldn't so he told me to just call and see if I could get the tire looked at during lunch.

I got to work, parked and looked at my tire. Sure, it looked a little low, but nothing catastrophic.

I make the trek (15 minute walk) from the parking lot to my office and find out that my 9 AM meeting was cancelled. Oh well, have another one at 10. Make an appointment with a car place for 11:30.

MEANWHILE, I have been on the phone with my eye doctor, my supplemental vision insurance and my glasses provider for the last month because last JULY (yes, over 8 months ago), the eye doctor office messed up the billing coding, causing my supplemental insurance to not pay for my glasses. It will eventually get resolved, but not before I make 30 phone calls to all of these places.

OK...back to the time. My 10:00 meeting ran over so I am HUSTLING back to my car to make it to the repair shop in time for my 11:30 appointment. I get to my car and the tire is completely flat. I call Nate who says, "Call AAA". At that moment, I realize I have ZERO battery left on my phone. Well, enough battery to call AAA before it dies. They tell me to stay by my car, and that they will be there anytime between 11:30 and 1. WHAT?! Now I know WI has had a bit of warm spell this week, but I was NOT about to sit and wait for AAA to show up out by my car for an hour and a half. But I was not thinking clearly so with my last few seconds of air time I called Nate, crying, saying that I now had to sit out in the cold.

Practical husband called the repair shop to tell them I would not be making the 11:30 appointment and called AAA back to ask if they would call my office 10 minutes before they were going to arrive. I trekked BACK to my office to await the call. By this time, I was pretty sweaty b/c all of this trekking in a down winter coat had made me pretty warm.

I am not good at hiding when I am in a bad mood. My co-worker, wonderful woman that she is, made me a card and got me a bag of cheetos. This did cheer me up :)

MEANWHILE, this is what my office has looked like for the past week:

My office usually is super clean but we hired a new person and have done some shuffling around and the movers keep pushing back the date that they were going to move. Well today they showed up so on top of being all sweaty, I am covered in dust from moving files.

Ok...back to the main topic. At 1:00, I get a call from the AAA guy - he is at the gate to our parking structure. The parking structure that you cannot get into without an ID badge. AHHH! So I BUST ASS down the street, sprinting as fast as my pink suede heels will allow to get him my ID badge before he decides to take off. MORE SWEAT. The tire gets changed. ***SIDE NOTE: I DO know how to change a tire, but the new car did not have a kit with a jack, etc***. TREK Back to the office to continue with the dusty files.

Make an appointment at 5 to get the tire repaired. Sit at repair shop for 45 minutes watching crappy TV while tire gets repaired. It turns out THIS (see photo below) was the culprit:


A THREE INCH NAIL.

Thankfully Nate convinced me that going to the gym was still a good idea so I was able to lift a TON today (hence my gross appearance in the above photo). I now am nursing a yummy vodka tonic and waiting for our homemade macaroni and cheese to bake. In times like these, cocktails and comfort food are DEFINITELY warranted.

Here's hoping you had a better day than I.

And if you want to make the macaroni & cheese:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 1-1/2 quart deep baking dish.
Cook 2 cups of elbow macaroni.

Meanwhile, Melt 2 TB butter over medium-low heat, whisk in 2 TB flour and cook for 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in 2 cups milk. Stir in 1/2 medium onion, minced, 1 bay leaf, 1/4 tsp paprika. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from heat add 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar or colby cheese. Stir in macaroni (after you drain it, of course). Pour half of the mixture in the baking dish, sprinkle 3/4 cup shredded cheese, pour remaining mixture. Top with 1/2 cup more shredded cheese. Melt 1 TB butter and mix in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Sprinkle on top.

Bake for 30 mintues until breadcrumbs are browned.

Source: Joy of Cooking

3 comments:

Old MD Girl said...

Your NEW CAR got a flat tire?????

(Good, because mine's gotten TWO in the 6 months we've owned it and I thought I was the only one.)

No really. That sucks. I'm glad it all worked out. Perhaps you've now used up all your bad karma for a while and the next month will be glorious!

BCK said...

Good lord. No wonder we didn't chat today! I hope tomorrow is better.

Crazy 8s said...

wow! unfortunately, the only think about this story that stuck with me was the part about the pink suede heels :0) ...that sounds like a fabulous pair of shoes! And is the brown bag on the desk your BR bag, or is that the target one?
r