Monday, January 26, 2009

Baby Quilt #2


I did nothing with the house this weekend, or nothing in WI for that matter as I traveled to the ATL for the baby shower of the year. I attempted to make the puffy quilt again for C&F's baby girl-to-be. The process went better the second time around, as I learned some things in creating #1 for Mee-layz.

Here are the changes I made with #2:
-I pinned all the squares in the middle to have the pleats exactly in the middle of all four sides. This made it much easier to sew, but took a little bit longer to pin all 35 squares.

-I sewed on all the front borders BEFORE I stuffed the middle squares. I did not do this the first time and my sis had to perform CPR on the quilt.

-Nate actually made sewing the backs of the little puffs much easier by his sewing technique of doubling the thread, tieing a knot and then making your first stitch go through the middle of the loop. This probably is sewing 101, but it made it much easier and quicker to sew the backs of the puffs closed.

I am happy with how it turned out, but maybe by #3 I will perfect the edging sewing.

The directions are from a family circle issue circa 1984 but are posted here if you want to attempt your own at home.

No comments: