Thursday, October 16, 2008

Living in a Dream World

We have been working on random projects around the house that don't really warrant a whole post, becuase while they are necessary, they are boring. Nate has been doing a great job touching up the ceilings around new light fixtures as well as fixing up the ceiling where the cabinets came down in the kitchen which was no less than NASTY, as you can see above me in this picture:

Our countertops were suppossed to be installed today but as I previously mentioned, we have one more week left of the ugly, white, laminate countertops with a 15 year hold in them. 7 more days...So I'm left to dream about future projects.

Although this is our first house and we likely will not do EVERY dream remodel that we think of, there are several things that could be done to the outside. Several ideas were reinvigorated after I saw the remodel that was featured on This Young House yesterday.

Here is their before:


And after:


Of course the inside rooms are awesome too. Click here to check them out.

Here is how our house currently looks on the outside:


I really think our house looks cute from the outside, for the most part. I love the cape cod architechture with two dormers, I love our pergola, I love the red door. I like the overall color of our house (white). However, there are some things I would change. I would like to paint the shutters and trim a different color. What color? I don't know. I know I do not love the light blue. That is easy enough to fix...maybe next summer.

A more hard core remodel option for our outside would be an expansion of our front door, similar to the house above. Currently, our front door is flush with the house and has a modest concrete stoop. I don't think it looks awful and it functions fine from the OUTSIDE. Inside, I hate our front door, as it opens right into the living room and the staircase going upstairs. The door ALMOST, by a VERY NARROW margin, scrapes the staircase. There is no welcoming entryway or anything to speak of and it is sort of awkward to invite guests directly into the living room.

I think it would be awesome if we could expand the front door and create a mini entry way into our house. It would be like the house above, but actually create a "room" of sorts onto the house, and not just a porch.

There are many things that I would put above redoing the outside of the house, but a girl can dream can't she?

Photo Sources: #1 is mine, #2 and #3 are from This Young House, and #4 is also mine

1 comment:

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

I really like your entryway idea. One thought to consider before you dream too much is any ordinances. Some areas require that houses be set back a specific number of feet from the curb, and the main part of your house could be on that boarder.

It's probably not a problem, though. I was just thinking. I think your idea is gorgeous.