Saturday, October 4, 2008

Gwyneth's Turkey Ragu

Perhaps you have heard of Goop - the new "lifestyle" website by Gwyneth Paltrow. No it does not give you advice to name your kids after fruit and/or biblical characters. I signed up to get the newsletters to see what it was all about and the first one had this recipe. As my good friend Brooke pointed out, "Isn't she a vegetarian"? No matter, i still tried out the recipe and vegetarian or not, this was pretty darn good. Maybe all that traveling around Spain with Mario Batali wore off on Ms. Paltrow. For your enjoyment, I have re-typed the recipe word for word as I received it in my email box. Give it a laugh..then give it a try!

"This is one of my all time favorite dishes. Turkey Ragu. When I gave up eating red meat 15 years ago, bolognaise was the dish that I missed the most. This recipe cooks slowly and gets a deep, layered flavor - you won't miss the red meat at all. I like to do the prep work on a Saturday morning when my kids are having breakfast or running around the garden. It can cook slowly all day and dinner is done! It keeps well in the fridge and even tastes better the next day."

Turkey Ragu
1 lb ground organic free range light and dark or all-dark turkey meat, room temperature*
2 15 oz cans Italian plum tomatoes
2 15 oz cans Italian chopped tomatoes
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 medium or 3 small brown onions, peeled and diced
2 sprigs rosemary
1 tsp fennel seeds
salt & pepper
1 cup red wine
pinch of red pepper flakes
olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1. Put a big glug of olive oil on a big saucepan over medium low heat.
2. Add carrots, onions, garlic and let cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Add red pepper flakes and bashed up fennel seeds (Jamie Oliver makes a great spice basher, incidentally)
4. Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil and the ground turkey and throw in the rosemary. Really let it get a lovely deep brown on all sides and then add it to the soffrito scraping all the bits from the pan in.
5. Season with pepper and fleur de sel (I (read: Gwyneth) like one mixed with Herbs de Provence) and stir well.
6. Add the tomatoes and bring the sauce to a boil and then add 1 cup of red wine (not something so cheap you wouldn't drink it, a good wine makes a good sauce!)
7. Let it boil away for a few minutes. Turn the heat down to low and partially cover the saucepan. Let it blip away slowly and gently for a good 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring often.

Serve with rigatoni and freshly grated Reggiano Parmesan.

"*I read in Giorgio Locatelli's cookbook that meat sears and browns wehn you fry it at room temperature, whereas it boils in its own juice when it's cold. He is absolutely right (obviously), the turkey browns quickly and deeply, giving it lots of flavor"

There you have it - a recipe straight from Gwyneth herself. :)

2 comments:

maura said...

She used to be macrobiotic, which is even more strict that vegan (although I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what it means). I know that it got really hard for her to be a healthy mom (maybe while she was pregnant or breastfeeding) and so now, she's something else. Perhaps a turkey eater.

Jessica said...

I made this yesterday and drank the rest of the bottle of wine that I needed for the recipe. The ragu is superb, and you don't miss the red meat at all. I didn't use as much onions and didn't bother with the fennel seeds, but all in all it's a great classic for this time of year.