Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Running Update

"The miler knows that in just over 4 minutes the pain of severe effort will subside, but the marathoner must be able to tolerate pain and fatigue for over two hours."

~Buddy Edelen

Ok, so the 4 minutes and 2 hours referred to above are slightly longer in the case of me, but still this quote is apt to describe my current feelings towards running another marathon. I have struggled with motivation so far in my training for #5 and have not pushed myself very much, preferring to stay in the comfort (aka pain-free) zone.

I went to one of the build-up runs hosted by a local running group last weekend for a change of pace (literally) and scenery for my weekly long run. I knew that I would be able to push myself a bit more with people around, given my competitive streak. I was chugging along quite nicely for the first ten miles and then the heat, humidity and general fatigue (hey, it was early in the morning) got the best of me and I stopped. No sooner did I stop when this woman behind me said, "Oh no, you are not stopping. You are my motivation so you have to keep running for me. It will get easier just keep going." So I started back up with her again and through talking I learned that she was training for the World Championship Ironman finals in Hawaii and she had 3 kids. Well, that was enough motivation for me to get through the run. I'm hoping that burst of motivation continues to carry me through the week!

1 comment:

caroldes7 said...

What an inspiration! Sorta crazy that you were her motivation, ya know?! :)